Saturday, March 16, 2013

Melissa said, "I love St. Patrick's Day!"

Since St. Patrick's Day is tomorrow I decided to  compose a more light-hearted post and explain a little bit about why I love St. Patrick's Day and more specifically all things Irish, Scottish, or generally Celtic in nature.

Celticism is defined as a fondness for Celtic culture and I definitely have a lot of celticism!  I guess it all started with where I was born, or more correctly, where my parents lived when I was born.  They lived in a tiny town in North Central Tennessee called Erin.  This is taken from the Houston County Chamber of Commerce's website:

Cradled in the heart of Tennessee’s natural wonder and magical charm, 200 jewel-like acres of Houston County are nestled quietly in a range of hills and valleys, unequalled in beauty by any part of the highland rim portion of the state. According to legend, Irish railroad workers who were reminded of the valleys, hills, hollows, and meadows of their homeland, Ireland, gave the name Erin to this small community. One night, the workers took a “wee drip too much” and let out the ancient rallying cry, “Erin Go Braugh.” The name stuck and a celebration of Irish heritage and blessings takes place annually during the third week in March when everyone is “Irish in Erin.”


Erin literally means Ireland in Gaelic and "Erin go Braugh" means Ireland forever. While I only lived three years of my life in this small town, my parents lived there for a total of 15 years.  I went back a few times as an older child, but I garnered most of my knowledge of the town through curiosity.  My initial curiosity was not piqued just because that is where I was born, or that my parents lived there for so long, but because all throughout my family Irish names kept cropping up.  My mother's maiden name is McDonald and her grandmother was a Montgomery, both Irish names.  My father's mother was a Ferguson.  We have a book on the Ferguson family history that is almost 3 inches thick and inside the book's cover is the tartan pattern of the Ferguson clan.
This is the Ferguson tartan pattern

If my family background was not enough to start my love of the Irish, once I started doing some research I really fell in love with the symbolism, music, jewelry, and sheer beauty of the land. On this St. Patrick's Day Eve I would like to share some of the particular Irish symbols and legends that we hold particularly dear.  

First, Danny and I decided to name our Bengal Cattery Fianna.  Some information on the Fianna:

The Fianna lived many hundreds of years ago. Every man of the Fianna was chosen for his strength and bravery and was specially trained in warfare and was made a champion among warriors.
Usually before any man could officially become a Fianna warrior he had to undergo some tests:
  • While standing in a hole as deep as his waist he had to be able to defend himself against nine warriors using only a shield and a hazel rod.
  • He had to escape from nine warriors by running through the forest without breaking a twig under his feet or tearing his clothes on bramble.
  • He had to be able to jump over a branch as high as himself and run under another as low as his knee.
  • While running at top speed through the forest he had to be able to pick a thorn from his foot without stopping.
  • He had to learn twelve books of poetry by heart and also know many of the old legends and stories.
  • Not to take a dowry with a wife.

The Fianna were warrior poets and beautiful and unique among men.  I just thought this was a fitting name for my cattery that represented a breed of cat that were equally beautiful and unique among cats.

While many of our cats had Irish names, the one that is most precious to me is my girl Fianna Connemara.  She was one of my first keeper kittens and she was just beautiful.  She has a gorgeous, contrasted, rufoused red marble coat.  She had gorgeous green eyes and I knew that Connemara had to be her name.  Connemara marble is gorgeous green marble that can only be found in a certain area in western Ireland.  Since I only bred marble Bengals I thought it a fitting name for one of my most stunning marble girls.


Legend has it that St. Patrick used the commonly found shamrock to teach the Irish people about the holy trinity and that is why the Shamrock has become synonymous with St. Patrick's Day.  I personally just love them.

I also really love Claddaghs.  I wear a Claddagh ring on my right hand, as a married woman not really the place where I should wear it, but that is okay.  I just love the symbolism on these rings and think they are really beautiful.

How To Wear The Claddagh Ring

Claddagh rings were originally worn in the village of The Claddagh in Galway, Ireland and their traditional purpose at that time was to show marital status.

If one was courting, the claddagh ring would be worn on the right hand with the heart facing outwards to show your heart had not yet been taken.

Once a betrothal had been decided the claddagh ring would be worn on the right hand but turned in so the heart faced inwards and this was to show that your heart had now been taken.



Upon marriage, the claddagh ring was then transferred to the left hand with the heart still turned inwards as a sign of the commitment and love between the two people and this was their wedding band.

This is the actual claddagh ring that I wear on my right hand (again I know its wrong, but I have a wedding band on my left hand.)  Danny got it for me for Valentine's Day last year.

I also really love Trinity knots...for my anniversary last year Danny got me a gorgeous Trinity Knot necklace.  Trinity knots were also used to represent the holy trinity.  I wear this necklace every day.


It came from an awesome website called Gaelsong.  They have tons of celtic jewelry, clothes, home decor, and more.  I highly recommend checking it out.

Finally, I have a certain penchant for celtic crosses.  I think they are beautiful and love the meaning behind them.  You can find some great information about the symbolism of celtic crosses here: Celtic Crosses

Anyway, I just wanted to share some of the things I love about Ireland and celtic culture. I absolutely love St. Patrick's Day and look forward to decking out in my green every year.  It is my dream to go and visit Scotland and Ireland one day.  I hope I get to make that trip.  

Happy St. Patrick's Day and Erin Go Braugh!

No comments:

Post a Comment